All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $48.06Trending at AU $49.69
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
About this product
- DescriptionA return to the Southern Gothic tradition and a testimony to her Southern roots, author Rose Mary Stiffin's debut vel, Walk in Bethel, is an earthy, spellbinding drama set in the sweltering Mississippi Delta. With skeletons in the closet and a myriad of back porch speculations, Stiffin writes in the vernacular of a multi-family epic that describes the darkest passages of the human heart, as well as its well-lit corridors of freedom, forgiveness, and love of family. Nashville is Reverend Carl Thompson's wife; she secretly considers prayers to be more than wishes yet believes God walks the Earth. Though shes witnessed brutality, shes also seen equality and human kindness. Returning from her Christian duty to call upon the infirm in this case Belle Washington, a child-bride and runaway who has lost ather child Nashville is dragged into a cotton field by two depraved white youths, the Ferguson brothers, and would have been brutally raped if it weren't for Mike Poe fending off her attackers. Their desperate trek home is fraught with terror as they try to avoid the revenge-seeking brothers. The chaos leads to a desperate sin without measure and consequences that will follow them to their graves. Years later, when Nashville's daughter Allene marries Robert Sutton, a man with a murderous past, she'll have idea what truth will haunt him and what fate will provide. This unforgettable saga links three families, several generations, and is ultimately a story of survival, for what we can forgive is what we must never forget.
- Author BiographyRose Mary Stiffin, PhD Biographical Sketch I was raised and educated in Indianola, Mississippi, notably the Delta hometown of the blues legend, BB King. I received my Bachelor of Art degree in Chemistry from Mississippi Valley State University (1974), my Master of Science degree in Organic Chemistry from Mississippi State University (1981), and my PhD (Biochemistry) from the University of Tennessee in Memphis (1995). I did my post-doctoral work at the world-famous hospital, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, in Memphis, Tennessee. Currently, I am the Chair of the Division of Health and Natural Sciences at Florida Memorial University, a small HBCU located in Miami Gardens. I have written several short stories and had some of them published in the Imagine literary magazine. I have also been published in the Algonquin Quarterly ( The Water Buffalo and Pink Flamingo ) and in an anthology For Your Eyes Only ( Casino Blues ). Walk in Bethel is my first novel. I am working on my second novel, Reflections.
- Author(s)Rose Mary Stiffin Phd
- Date of Publication27/03/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight644 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.