All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost people would describe Walker Hughes as warm, enthusiastic and charismatic - even if he doesn't say very much. But after several happy years living in a group home, Walker descended into a deep unhappiness, and his parents were told that their son with low-functioning autism was 'unmanageable' and a danger to others. Where did it all go wrong? From the author of Running with Walker, this witty and touching memoir tells a story of crisis and recovery of a young man with low-functioning autism. Battling miscommunication, misinterpreted behaviour and a lack of appropriate services, Walker and his parents' resilience shines through, providing a much-needed portrayal about what life is like for adults with low-functioning autism, and how we can understand the complex personalities of people with communication difficulties.
- Author BiographyRobert Hughes is the author of Running with Walker: A Memoir, also published by JKP. His articles have appeared in Newsweek, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun-Times, Parents Magazine, and Chicago Magazine, and he has contributed commentary to WBEZ, Chicago Public Radio. He holds a Ph.D. in English literature from Northwestern University and taught writing at Truman College, City Colleges of Chicago. He lives with his family in Chicago.
- Author(s)Robert Hughes
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication21/01/2016
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $69.17
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $21.12Trending at AU $22.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.