All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew historians have written about walking, despite its obvious centrality to the human condition. Focusing on the period 1800-1914, this book examines the practices and meanings of walking in the context of transformative modernity. It boldly suggests that once historians place walking at the heart of their analyses, exciting new perspectives on themes central to the 'long nineteenth century' emerge. Walking Histories, 1800-1914 adopts a global perspective, including contributions from specialists in the history and culture of Great Britain, North America, Australia, Russia, East-Central Europe, and South Asia. Critically engaging with recent research, the contributions within offer fresh insights for academic experts, while remaining accessible to student readers. This book will be essential reading for those interested in movement, travel, leisure, urban history, and environmental history.
- Author BiographyChad Bryant is Associate Professor in Central and Eastern European History at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA. He is author of Prague in Black: Czech Nationalism and Nazi Rule (2007) and is co-editor, with Cynthia Radding and Paul Readman, of Borderlands in World History, 1700-1914 (2014). Arthur Burns is Professor of Modern British History at King's College London, UK. His books include Rethinking the Age of Reform: Britain 1780-1850 (2003), co-edited with Joanna Innes, and St Paul's: The Cathedral Church of London 604-2004 (2004), co-edited with Derek Keene and Andrew Saint. Paul Readman is Professor of Modern British History at King's College London, UK. His publications include Land and Nation in England: Patriotism, National Identity and the Politics of Land 1880-1914 (2008), and as co-editor with Chad Bryant and Cynthia Radding, Borderlands in World History, 1700-1914 (2014).
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication17/04/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note2 black & white tables, biography
- Weight580 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byArthur Burns,Chad Bryant,Paul Readman
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.