All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThis guidebook describes 30 circular walks in Scotland's Pentland Hills, a range of low summits which extends between Edinburgh and Biggar in South Lanarkshire. Ranging from 3 to 27km (2-17 miles), there is something to suit all abilities from the vice to the experienced hill-walker, with each route showcasing a different aspect of the area's unique character. Step-by-step route description is accompanied by 1:50,000 OS mapping and a wealth of interesting information on the region's rich natural and cultural heritage: its geology, history, wildlife and connections with literary greats such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Sir Walter Scott. Local place names are explained, local folklore explored and there is a helpful glossary of dialect terms. The Pentland Hills can be enjoyed in all seasons. Although the highest summit, Scald Law, stands at 579m, stunning vistas belie their modest elevation: this is a region of grass and heather-clad slopes which rise above picturesque valleys hiding streams and reservoirs. Walking in the Pentland Hills is an ideal companion to discovering great walking on Scotland's most accessible hills.
- Author BiographySusan Falconer began walking in the Pentlands in her early teens. After graduating with a degree in geography from St Andrews University she began a management career in the Health Service in London. Despite being far from her native country she returned regularly to walk and cycle in Scotland. She trained as a teacher and became Senior Tutor in ecology and geography for the Field Studies Council in Epping Forest. Susan returned to Scotland to take up the post of Countryside Education Officer for the Scottish Agricultural College before becoming a Countryside Ranger with the Pentland Hills Ranger Service in 1995.
- Author(s)Susan Falconer
- PublisherCicerone Press
- Date of Publication07/10/2016
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationCumbria
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCicerone Press
- Content NoteOver 70 photos and 30 OS map extracts
- Weight200 g
- Width116 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.