About this product
- DescriptionThe second volume of the autobiography of Doris Lessing, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature. 'Walking in the Shade' begins in 1949, as Doris Lessing arrives in London with thing but her young son and the manuscript of her first vel. With humour and clear-sightedness, she records her battles of the next decade: her involvement with communism, her love affairs, her struggle with poverty, the difficulties she faced as a young single mother. But as well there is the success of that first vel, 'The Grass Is Singing', and meetings with personalities and opinion-makers - Kenneth Tynan, John Osborne, Bertrand Russell and others.Describing, too, the genesis of 'The Golden Notebook', this book sees Lessing emerge as one of the most exciting, and groundbreaking, velists of the post-war generation, and one of the twentieth century's great writers.
- Author BiographyDoris Lessing is one of the most important writers of the twentieth century and was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature 2007. Her first novel, 'The Grass is Singing', was published in 1950. Among her other celebrated novels are 'The Golden Notebook', 'The Fifth Child' and 'Memoirs of a Survivor'. She has also published two volumes of her autobiography, 'Under my Skin' and 'Walking in the Shade'. Doris Lessing died on 17 November 2013 at the age of 94.
- Author(s)Doris Lessing
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication05/05/1998
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Content Note28 b/w plates (12pp)
- Weight290 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.