All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Cherrington and his 74-year-old walking companion set out one fine morning in May to traverse the only English footpath that cuts south through the rural heart of the country, a formidable path called the Macmillan Way. Cherrington's walking partner is Karl Yzerman, an irascible bull of the woods, a full 20 years his senior and the perfect foil to the wry and self-deprecating author. Their journey begins at Boston on the Wash and takes them through areas of outstanding beauty such as the Cotswolds, Somerset, and Dorset, all the way to Chesil Beach. Their ultimate destination is Cadbury Castle, a hill fort that many archeologists believe to be the location of King Arthur's legendary center of operations in the late fifth century when he -- or some other prominent British warrior chieftain -- made his last stand against the Saxons. Along the way the unlikely duo experiences many adventures, including a serious crime scene, a bull attack, several ghosts, a brothel, and the English themselves. The historical merges with the magic of the footpath, with Cherrington making astute, often humorous observations on the social, cultural, and culinary mores of the English, all from a very North American perspective.
- Author BiographyJohn A. Cherrington is a country lawyer and the author of three works of historical nonfiction, including Vancouver at Dawn which was awarded runner-up for the City of Vancouver Book Prize. An avid hiker, he has regularly traveled to England over the past three decades to walk its many footpaths, making careful observations of the rural life, flora, and fauna along the way. He has done extensive work in heritage preservation and was awarded the 125th Anniversary Governor General's Medal for significant contribution to community and country. He lives with his wife, Dee, and they divide their time between their home in British Columbia's Fraser Valley and their cottage on Pender Island, British Columbia.
- Author(s)John A. Cherrington
- PublisherFigure 1 Publishing
- Date of Publication26/05/2016
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintFigure 1 Publishing
- Weight442 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $75.00Trending at AU $84.72
- AU $53.95Trending at AU $54.55
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.62
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.00Trending at AU $22.01
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.84
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $27.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.