Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionAlfred Wainwright, author of the inimitable best-selling Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells, here describes thirty-two walks in this distinctly beautiful and compact group of hills between Lakeland and the Yorkshire Dales. For lovers of solitude, here on the Howgills is fellwalking par excellence. Each walk has its particular charm or special objective. Each is the subject of a separate chapter containing a diagram, a map, and an illustrated narrative. Walk on the Howgill Fells was first published in 1972. For this new revised edition, every footpath has been re-walked, and every map and diagram checked by Chris Jesty, who assisted with the maps on Wainwright's last two large-format books. It is w fully up to date for 21st century walkers.
- Author BiographyALFRED WAINWRIGHT was born in Blackburn in 1907. A holiday at the age of 23 kindled a life-long love affair with the Lake District. Following a move to Kendal in 1941 he began to devote every spare moment he had to researching and compiling the original seven Pictorial Guides. He described these as his 'love letters' to the Lakeland Fells. Wainwright died in 1991 at the age of 84. CHRIS JESTY trained as a cartographer with the Ordnance Survey. He devised Scafell Pike Panorama, a guide to the view from the highest mountain in England, for which Wainwright provided illustrations. When Wainwright's health deteriorated, Chris helped him with the maps for two of his large-format books. Shortly before he died, Wainwright said that if ever the Pictorial Guides were to be revised, Chris Jesty should be given the job. He lives in Kendal.
- Author(s)Alfred Wainwright
- PublisherFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication03/04/2014
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteTwo-colour hand-drawn maps throughout
- Width191 mm
- Height128 mm
- Revised byChris Jesty
- Format DetailsPlastic
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.