All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWall Street Women tells the story of the first generation of women to establish themselves as professionals on Wall Street. Since these women, who began their careers in the 1960s, faced blatant discrimination and barriers to advancement, they created formal and informal associations to bolster one ather's careers. In this important historical ethgraphy, Melissa S. Fisher draws on fieldwork, archival research, and extensive interviews with a very successful cohort of first-generation Wall Street women. She describes their professional and political associations, most tably the Financial Women's Association of New York City and the Women's Campaign Fund, a bipartisan group formed to promote the election of pro-choice women. Fisher charts the evolution of the women's careers, the growth of their political and ecomic clout, changes in their perspectives and the cultural climate on Wall Street, and their experiences of the 2008 financial collapse. While most of the pioneering subjects of Wall Street Women did t participate in the women's movement as it was happening in the 1960s and 1970s, Fisher argues that they did produce a market feminism which aligned liberal feminist ideals about meritocracy and gender equity with the logic of the market.
- Author BiographyMelissa Fisher is Visiting Assistant Professor at New York University's Department of Social and Cultural Analysis. She is a coeditor of Frontiers of Capital: Ethnographic Reflections on the New Economy, also published by Duke University Press.
- Author(s)Melissa S. Fisher
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication19/06/2012
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note3 photographs
- Weight476 g
- Width145 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.05New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.