Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionApproaching the topos of irony from both the surface and deep structure levels, this study examines Kempowski's principal concerns in the Deutsche Chronik. On the level of surface structure, the focus of his critical irony is the mentality and mores of the German middle class during the first half of the twentieth century. On the deep structure level, Kempowski's use of irony serves to create an ambiguous distance between himself and his narratorial personae. It supports his own self-interpretation and, by transferring the sole responsibility for the creation of meaning and the subsequent drawing of conclusions to his readers, he provides them with the opportunity to share his enquiry into German history and apply the lessons that can be learnt from the period in question.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Christopher Riley was born in Tasmania, Australia. He studied at the University of Tasmania and has worked as a librarian in Australia and the United Kingdom. In 1992 he returned to the University of Tasmania, where he gained his Ph.D. Apart from teaching German and Indonesian at the University of Tasmania, he is currently also employed as a librarian.
- Author(s)Christopher Riley
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/11/1996
- LanguageEnglish & German
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleHistorich-kritische Arbeiten zur Deutschen Literatur
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 19
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1997
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight260 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.