All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2015, 239 Indian tribes operated 478 casis, high-stakes bingo halls, and other gambling facilities on Indian reservations in 28 states that collectively earned $28.5 billion in gross gaming revenue. How did Indian gambling become such a lucrative and commonplace fixture of the American landscape? In Wampum, Donald Craig Mitchell tells the never-before-told story.In 1979, the Mafia opened the nation's first high-stakes Indian bingo hall on the Semile reservation in Florida. Nine years later, Indian tribes were operating bingo halls on reservations in 23 states. Congress enacted the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act to subject gambling on reservations to regulation by the federal government and the states in which the reservations were located. But, while members of Congress who voted for the bill didn't intend for it to do so, the act facilitated the transformation of Indian bingo halls into what they are today Las Vegas-style casis whose gaming floors contain more than 352,000 video slot and other gaming machines.On Capitol Hill, Donald Craig Mitchell is a recognized expert on Indian law and history, and the only researcher who had early access to the records of the committees whose members and staff wrote the bills that became the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. In Wampum, he offers readers the first comprehensive look at the forces in Congress and inside the Bureau of Indian Affairs that have created the Indian gaming industry.
- Author BiographyDonald Mitchell isthe author ofSold American: The Story of Alaska Natives and Their Land and Take My Land Take My Life: The Story of Congress s Historic Settlement of Alaska Native Land Claims, and is a recognized expert on federal Indian law on Capitol Hill.
- Author(s)Donald Mitchell
- PublisherOverlook Press
- Date of Publication21/06/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOverlook Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.