All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionWandering Between Two Worlds: The Formative Years of Cao Xueqin 1715-1745 is a biographical account of the first 30 years of the life of the eighteenth-century Chinese velist who wrote Honglou meng (Dream of the Red Chamber). It covers Cao Xueqin's life from his birth in Nanjing in 1715 to the time when it is roughly estimated he began to seriously write his massive work. The book attempts to provide a brisk but broad overview of the important familial, social, historical, literary, and intellectual influences on Cao and his decision to write Honglou meng. Wandering Between Two Worlds relies upon extensive interviews done with ted mainland Chinese scholars on the vel, such as Zhou Ruchang, Cai Yijiang, Duan Jiangli, Shen Zhijun, Zhang Qingshan, and Sun Yuming, during the author's eight-year stay in China; recent research done by Western scholars on Qing dynasty literature, gender, qing, philosophy, and education; and insights from the burgeoning field of the New Qing history. This is only the second biography of Cao Xueqin's life to appear in English, and the first to examine in detail his early life and to be written by a n-Chinese. It is intended for students of traditional Chinese literature and culture, as well as general readers interested in the vel and features a special foreword written by the distinguished redologist Zhou Ruchang.
- Author BiographyRonald R. Gray has degrees in philosophy from Brown University and the University of Colorado at Denver. He has published papers on Honglou meng (Dream of the Red Chamber) in Chinese and Western publications; guest co-edited a special 2005 issue of the Tamkang Review devoted to the novel; and is co-editor of Between Noble and Humble: Cao Xueqin and the Dream of the Red Chamber (Peter Lang, 2009) written by the noted Honglou meng scholar Zhou Ruchang. He lived in East Asia for 20 years and taught at universities in China, Japan, and South Korea. Gray currently teaches in the Department of Linguistics at Ohio University.
- Author(s)Ronald R. Gray
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication24/06/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAsian Thought and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number68
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight480 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.