All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn addition to environmental change, the structure and trends of global politics and the ecomy are also changing as more countries join the ranks of the world's largest ecomies with their resource-intensive patterns. The nexus approach, conceptualized as attention to resource connections and their governance ramifications, calls attention to the sustainability of contemporary consumer resource use, lifestyles and supply chains. This book sets out an analytical framework for understanding these nexus issues and the related governance challenges and opportunities. It sheds light on the resource nexus in three realms: markets, interstate relations and local human security. These three realms are the organizing principle of three chapters, before the analysis turns to crosscutting case studies including shale gas, migration, lifestyle changes and resource efficiency, nitrogen fertilizer and food systems, water and the Nile Basin, climate change and security and defense spending. The key issues revolve around competition and conflict over finite natural resources. The authors highlight opportunities to improve both the understanding of nexus challenges and their governance. They critically discuss a global governance approach versus polycentric and multilevel approaches and the lack of those dimensions in many theories of international relations.
- Author BiographyPhilip Andrews-Speed is Principal Fellow, Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore. Raimund Bleischwitz is BHP Billiton Chair in Sustainable Global Resources, University College London (UCL), Institute for Sustainable Resources, London, UK. Tim Boersma is Fellow at The Brookings Institution, Energy Security Initiative, Washington, DC, USA. Corey Johnson is Associate Professor of political geography, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, USA. Geoffrey Kemp is Director of Regional Security Programs, The Center for the National Interest, Washington, DC, USA. Stacy D. VanDeveer is a Professor and Department Chair, Department of Political Science, University of New Hampshire, USA.
- Author(s)Corey Johnson,Geoffrey Kemp,Philip Andrews-Speed,Raimund Bleischwitz,Stacy D. VanDeveer,Tim Boersma
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/11/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 black & white illustrations, 8 black & white tables, 22 black & white line drawings
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.