All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the context of the current explosion of interest in Gothic literature and popular culture, this interdisciplinary collection of essays explores for the first time the rich and long-standing relationship between war and the Gothic. Critics have described the global Seven Year's War as the crucible from which the Gothic genre emerged in the eighteenth century. Since then, the Gothic has been a privileged mode for representing violence and extreme emotions and situations. Covering the period from the American Civil War to the War on Terror, this collection examines how the Gothic has provided writers an indispensable toolbox for narrating, critiquing, and representing real and fictional wars. The book also sheds light on the overlap and complicity between Gothic aesthetics and certain aspects of military experience, including the bodily violation and mental dissolution of combat, the dehumanization of others, psychic numbing, masculinity in crisis, and the subjective experience of trauma and memory. Engaging with popular forms such as young adult literature, gaming, and comic books, as well as literature, film, and visual art, War Gothic provides an important and timely overview of war-themed Gothic art and narrative by respected experts in the field of Gothic Studies. This book makes important contributions to the fields of Gothic Literature, War Literature, Popular Culture, American Studies, and Film, Television & Media.
- Author BiographyAgnieszka Soltysik Monnet is Professor of American Literature and Culture at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland. Steffen Hantke teaches in the American Culture Program at Sogang University in Seoul, South Korea.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/12/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleRoutledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Literature
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note18 black & white illustrations, 18 black & white halftones
- Weight521 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAgnieszka Soltysik Monnet,Steffen Hantke
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.