All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEarly 1862, Union forces under Major General Samuel R. Curtis drive Confederate forces led by Brigadier General Sterling Price out of Missouri and into Arkansas. The Confederates, w representing combined forces under General Earl Van Dorn, Commander of the Trans-Mississippi District, counter-attack and strike Curtis's isolated Union army at Pea Ridge in March 1862. Despite being outnumbered and almost surrounded, the Union army wins a stunning victory. Nine months later, a new Confederate army under Major General Thomas C. Hindman tries again. At Prairie Grove in early December, a furious and bitter battle results in ather Confederate defeat. The matter of Missouri is decided on two cold, rocky battlefields atop the Ozark Plateau in Northwestern Arkansas. Never again would the Confederates make a serious effort to recover Missouri; never again would they make a serious effort to stop the conquest of Arkansas. The story of dramatic campaigns, ferocious battles, and grim heroism that decided the outcome of the Civil War west of the Mississippi. William L. Shea holds a Ph.D. from Rice University and is Professor of History at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. He is co-author, with Earl Hess, of Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West, an alternate selection of the History Book Club and the Book-of-the-Month Club.
- Author BiographyWILLIAM L. SHEA holds a Ph.D. from Rice University and is Professor of History at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. He is co-author, with Earl Hess, of Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West, an alternate selection of the History Book Club and the Book-of-the-Month Club.
- Author(s)William L Shea
- PublisherMcWhiney Foundation Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleCivil War Campaigns & Commanders (Paperback)
- Place of PublicationAbilene, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcWhiney Foundation Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width162 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.