Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $80.64Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $72.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis interdisciplinary study provides a broad conceptual and factual base for a deeper understanding of the social, political, and ecomic forces that contribute to war and peace in the modern world. Focusing on war as an integral part of the political and ecomic development of the capitalist world-ecomy, the authors offer critiques of modern conflict theories and in-depth empirical analyses of war in the world-system during the past 400 years. Schaeffer's introductory chapter assesses theoretical approaches to the study of war from a world-system perspective. The historical relationship between ecomic development and war in the interstate system is explored on several levels. The emergence of the world-system is discussed, and the history of its globalization through diplomacy, aggressive trade expansion, conquest, and war is outlined. The authors examine the changing structure of political relations in the interstate system, and look at the connections between military conflict and political and ecomic developments within individual nations. The threat of nuclear war is considered, particularly as it shapes the world-system through deterrence ideology and the deployment of massive superpower nuclear arsenals. Other topics addressed are the relationship between militarization and national development, the origin and character of military-industrial complexes, the waging of war by absolutist states, and the impact of ecomic fluctuations on military expenditures and international relations. Drawn from a recent conference on War in the World-System, the studies in this book distill some of the most original and invative thinking in the field. An appropriate choice for courses or research in war and peace studies, political ecomy, development, international relations, and allied disciplines.
- Author BiographyROBERT K. SCHAEFFER is senior editor at Greenpeace and former editor of Nuclear Times. His essays and articles have appeared in Crises in the World-System, Ascent and Decline in the World-System, and various scholarly journals.
- Author(s)Robert K. Schaeffer
- Date of Publication12/09/1989
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleContributions in Economics & Economic History
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 93
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight387 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $60.99Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.23
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.