All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAutism is widely understood in contemporary times as thing more than a biomedical disorder in need of treatment and/or cure. War on Autism disrupts this singularity by examining autism as a historically specific and power-laden cultural phemen that has much to teach about the social organization of a neoliberal western modernity. Bringing together a variety of interpretive theoretical perspectives including critical disability studies, queer and critical race theory, and cultural studies, the book analyzes the social significance and productive effects of contemporary discourses of autism as these are produced and circulated in the field of autism advocacy. Anne McGuire discusses how in the field of autism advocacy, autism often appears as an abbreviation, its multiple meanings distilled to various red flag warnings in awareness campaigns, bulleted biomedical facts in information pamphlets, or worrisome statistics in policy reports. She analyzes the relationships between these fragmentary enactments of autism and traces their continuities to reveal an underlying, powerful, and ubiquitous logic of violence that casts autism as a pathological threat that advocacy must work to eliminate. Such logic, McGuire contends, functions to delimit the role of the good autism advocate to one who is positioned against autism.
- Author BiographyAnne McGuire is Assistant Professor in the Equity Studies Program at New College, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Author(s)Anne McGuire
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleCorporealities: Discourses of Disability
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note13 illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.