All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines major foreign conflicts from the Spanish-American War through Vietnam, arguing that international conflicts have strong effects on American political parties, elections, state development, and policymaking. First, major wars expose and highlight problems requiring governmental solutions or necessitating emergency action. Second, despite well-kwn curtailments of civil liberties, wars often enhance democracy by drawing attention to the contributions of previously marginalized groups and facilitating the extension of fuller citizenship rights to them. Finally, wars affect the party system. Foreign conflicts create crises - many of which are unanticipated - that require immediate attention, supplant prior issues on the policy agenda, and engender shifts in party ideology. These new issues and redefinitions of party ideology frequently influence elections by shaping both elite and mass behavior.
- Author BiographyRobert P. Saldin is Assistant Professor of Political Science at the University of Montana. From 2010 to 2012, he is a Fellow in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholars in Health Policy Research Program at Harvard University. Previously, he was the Patrick Henry Postdoctoral Fellow at Johns Hopkins University, a Miller Center Dissertation Fellow in Politics and History, and a Visiting Scholar at the University of California, Berkeley's Institute of Governmental Studies. In 2008, Saldin received his Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. His refereed articles have appeared or are forthcoming in The Journal of Politics, Political Research Quarterly, and Presidential Studies Quarterly, among others.
- Author(s)Robert P. Saldin
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note11 b/w illus. 8 tables
- Weight420 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.