All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA landmark examination of iconic and provocative portraits by Warhol and Mapplethorpe, presented side by side and in depth for the first time Andy Warhol (1928-1987) and Robert Mapplethorpe (1946-1989) are well kwn for significant work in portraiture and self-portraiture that challenged gender roles and tions of femininity, masculinity, and androgyny. This exciting and original book is the first to consider the two artists together, examining the powerful portraits they created during the vibrant and tumultuous era bookended by the Stonewall riots and the AIDS crisis. Several important bodies of work are featured, including Warhol's Ladies and Gentlemen series of drag queen portraits and his collaboration with Christopher Makos on Altered Image, in which Warhol was photographed in makeup and wigs, and Mapplethorpe's photographs of Patti Smith and of female body builder Lisa Lyon. These are explored alongside numerous other paintings, photographs, and films that demonstrate the artists' engagement with gender, identity, beauty, performance, and sexuality, including their own self-portraits and portraits of one ather. Essays trace the convergences and divergences of Warhol and Mapplethorpe's work, and examine the historical context of the artists' projects as well as their lasting impact on contemporary art and queer culture. Firsthand accounts by the artists' collaborators and subjects reveal details into the making and exhibition of some of the works presented here. With an illustrated timeline highlighting key moments in the artists' careers, and more than 90 color plates of their arresting pictures, this book provides a fascinating study of two of the most compelling figures in 20th-century art.
- Author BiographyPatricia Hickson is the Emily Hall Tremaine Curator of Contemporary Art at the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2015
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note148 color illus.
- Weight1439 g
- Width241 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byPatricia Hickson
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.