All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresents the story of a Canadian fighter pilot whose operational flying career ended with his introduction to a headquarters staff job. He was engaged in the Cold War from his youth through an ever-changing career path. This book is intended for students of military and strategic studies and the observers of Canadian defence and foreign policy.
- Author BiographyTerry Thompson found his beginnings in small towns on the prairies during the forties. His memoir describes his early life in the rural communities of the west, the assertion of his independence and his quest for adventure. He describes his basic training as an airman in the RCAF leading to pilot training and his commission in the air force. His adventures during his early days in the service are not unlike that of others who joined Canada's military during the evolution of the cold war. They were all young men who believed in their country and had been instilled with a duty to defend democracy in an unsettled world. The author witnessed most aspects of the cold war from a military perspective. In his two tours at National Defense Headquarters, he was able to observe first-hand the wilful dismantling of the military structures leading to the lamentable state of today's armed forces. Following his retirement from the Canadian Forces in 1981 after thirty-one years of service, he participated in a variety of special events. These include: Logistic Consultant to the CBC for the Papal visit to Canada in 1984; Producer of Ceremonies of EXPO 86 in Vancouver, the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary and the 1990 Goodwill Games in Seattle. Following the Goodwill Games he was appointed Executive Director of Rendezvous 92, the northern celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Construction of the Alaska Highway. Terry Thompson lives in Calgary and has established himself as a critical observer of Canadian defence and foreign policies.
- Author(s)Terry Thompson
- PublisherTrafford Publishing
- Date of Publication09/02/2004
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationVictoria
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTrafford Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight413 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.