Wars, Guns and Votes: Democracy in Dangerous Places by Paul Collier (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.92Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $18.95Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by expressbooksaustralia
- Est. delivery by 8 Mar
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Wars, Guns and Votes, award-winning author Paul Collier investigates the violence and poverty in the countries at the bottom of the world ecomy that are home to a billion people. A highly-regarded ecomist and expert on developing countries, Collier argues that the spread of elections and peace settlements in the world's most volatile countries may lead eventually to a brave new democratic world. In the meantime, though, nasty and protracted civil wars, military coups, and failing ecomies will plague the bottom billion - unless national sovereignty is curtailed and ecomic disciplines introduced. Through invative research and astute analysis, Collier provides an eye-opening assessment of the ethnic divisions and insecurity in the developing countries of Africa, Latin America, and Asia where the democratic process so often fails. There have been many policy failures by the United States, the UK and other developed countries since the end of the Cold War, especially the reliance on pre-emptive military intervention, but Collier insists that these problems can and will be rectified. He persuasively outlines what must be done to bring long-term peace and stability.
- Author BiographyPaul Collier is a professor of economics at Oxford University. The author of The Bottom Billion, which won the 2008 Lionel Gelber Prize for the world's best book on international affairs, he has lectured widely on the subjects of economics and international relations.
- Author(s)Paul Collier
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication05/03/2009
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Bodley Head Ltd
- Weight361 g
- Width154 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.