All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'She will do as I have bidden her.' Catherine Sloper is heiress to a fortune and the social eminence associated with Washington Square. She attracts the attention of a good-looking but penniless young man, Morris Townsend. His suit is encouraged by Catherine's romantically-minded aunt, Mrs Penniman, but her father, a clever physician, is convinced that his motives are merely mercenary. He will t consent to the marriage, regardless of the cost to his daughter. Out of this classic confrontation Henry James fashioned one of his most deftly searching shorter fictions. First published in 1880 but set some forty years earlier in a pre-Civil War New York, the vel reflects ironically on the restricted world in which its heroine is marooned, seating herself at its close 'for life, as it were'. In his introduction Adrian Poole reflects on the book's gestation and influences, the significance of place, and the insight with which the four prinicipal players are drawn. The edition includes an account of the real-life tale that sparked James's imaginative genius. ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful tes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
- Author BiographyAdrian Poole has edited three James editions for OWC. He has written extensively on James and his books include the VSI on Tragedy. He is one of the general editors of the Complete Fiction of Henry James to be published by CUP in 30 volumes. He is the editor of the Cambridge Companion to English Novelists (forthcoming, 2010).
- Author(s)Henry James
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication11/11/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleOxford World's Classics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight168 g
- Width128 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byAdrian Poole
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.66
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.92
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $20.04
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.46
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $24.81
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.