Water for Hartford: The Story of the Hartford Water Works and the Metropolitan District Commission by Kevin Murphy (Hardback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.09+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $69.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs good health is inextricably wedded to pure drinking water-and this particular concern looms larger every day-understanding delivery systems is almost as important as the water itself. Water for Hartford chronicles the century-long effort, beginning in the 1850s, to construct a viable, efficient water system. The story of Hartford's water works is a fascinating one, for it recalls the hard work, great sacrifice, and extraordinary engineering feats necessary to deliver wholesome drinking water to a growing urban center. It also illuminates the ever-changing social, political, and ecomic milieu in which it was built. The story of its construction is also the story of three men-Hiram Bissell, Ezra Clark, and Caleb Saville. Readers are transported back in time and given a firsthand glimpse of what these champions of a water system faced on a daily basis: unforgiving geography, venal politicians, and an often-indifferent public. The book culminates in the exhilaration of having built a water works from scratch to deliver clean, safe drinking water to the masses. Water for Hartford is a human story, peopled by men of vision and achievement, who understood that their decisions and actions would affect millions of people for decades to come.
- Author BiographyKEVIN MURPHY is a writer whose interest in water systems dates back to fly-fishing trips in the West Branch Valley of the Farmington River below the Metropolitan District Commission s Hogback Reservoir. A 1971 graduate of Villanova University, he worked at the Hartford Courant through the 1970s and then ran a successful building business until 2000. Today, he writes full time, but still manages to spend summer afternoons fly-fishing on the Farmington River in and around the tiny village of Riverton. He is also the author of The Crowbar Governor (2010).
- Author(s)Kevin Murphy
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/06/2010
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Weight703 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $34.09New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.