All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWaterfowl in Your Pocket is a welcome aid to identifying the many colorful and intriguing water birds of the midwestern states, from the Great Lakes west to the Dakotas, east to Ohio, and south to Kansas and Missouri. Illustrator Dana Gardner has created fourteen panels showing fifty-one species of ducks, geese, swans, grebes, pelicans, coots, cormorants, moorhens, and loons swimming and flying with complete plumage variations - dark phases, light phases, and juvenile and adult male and female forms in summer and winter. The text also includes length, common and scientific names, and frequency and distribution.Whether flying high overhead in the fall or swimming in a nearby lake in the summer, waterfowl are toriously difficult to identify, and Gardner has worked hard to make this guide useful for beginning birders as well as those more experienced in the field. Keep biculars and Waterfowl in Your Pocket in your car or backpack - or pocket! - during spring and fall migration and summer nesting season for help in identifying such captivating water birds as greater white-fronted geese and tundra swans during spring and fall migration, male wood ducks and mallards in breeding plumage, immature and female red-breasted mergansers and sw geese, and uncommon winter visitors such as eiders and scoters.
- Author BiographyDana Gardner has illustrated more than twenty-six books, including most recently A Field Guide to the Birds of Belize. Author of Raptors in Your Pocket: A Guide to Great Plains Birds of Prey (IOWA, 2006), he is the coauthor, with Nancy Overcott, of Fifty Common Birds of the Upper Midwest (IOWA, 2006) and Fifty Uncommon Birds of the Upper Midwest (IOWA, 2007) as well as Birds at Your Feeder: A Guide to Winter Birds of the Great Plains (IOWA, 2003).
- Author(s)Dana Gardner
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2008
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Content Note180 watercolour illustrations
- Weight68 g
- Width106 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.