All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis text provides an accessible framework for understanding science, techlogy, and medicine (STM) in the West from the Renaissance to the 21st century. John V. Pickstone's approach has four key features. First, he synthesizes the long-term histories and philosophies of disciplines that are rmally studied separately. Second, he dissects STM into specific ways of kwing - natural history, analysis, and experimentalism - with separate but interlinked elements. Third, he explores these ways of kwing as forms of work related to our various techlogies for making, mending, and destroying. And finally, he relates scientific and technical kwledges to popular understandings and to politics. Covering a wide range of subjects, from minerals and machines to patients and pharmaceuticals, and from experimental physics to genetic engineering, Pickstone's Ways of Kwing challenges the reader to re-examine traditional conceptualizations of the history, philosophy, and social studies of science, techlogy, and medicine.
- Author BiographyJohn V. Pickstone is director of the Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine and the Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine at the University of Manchester. He has edited or coedited a number of books, most recently Medicine in the Twentieth Century (with Roger Cooter), and has written widely on the history of biomedical sciences, medicine, and science in Britain, and on medical innovations and policy.
- Author(s)J. V. Pickstone
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication04/04/2001
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight376 g
- Width142 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.