Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionAn exquisite storyteller. -- The Southern Review David Bottoms's poems just get better and better. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution One finds here what one expects in a book of good Southern poems: clear narratives . . . evocative images, searching irony, and meditative poise. -- Library Journal Rooted in the customs of Southern families and peopled with undertakers, bluegrass musicians, daughters practicing karate, and elderly parents, David Bottoms' poems are generous, insightful, and lean headlong into familial wisdom. Past and present interweave with grandmothers spitting tobacco juice, ponds filled with construction ruff, and the boyhood home-site paved over for a KFC. This is Bottoms' most personal and heartbreaking book.From My Daughter Works the Heavy Bag : A bow to the instructor, then fighting stance, and the only girl in karate class faces the heavy bag.Small for fifth grade--willow-like, says her mother--sweaty hair tangled like blown willow branches. The boys try to igre her. They fidget against the wall, smirk, practice their routine of huff and feint.Circle, barks the instructor, jab, circle, kick, and the black bag wobbles on its chain. Again and again, the bony jewels of her fistjab out in glistening precision, her flawless legs remember arabesque and glissade.Kick, jab, kick, and the bag coughs rhythmically from its gut. The boys fidget and wait . . . David Bottom, Georgia's Poet Laureate, was inducted into the Georgia Writers Hall of Fame in 2009. He teaches at Georgia State University and co-edits Five Points magazine. He lives in Marietta, Georgia.
- Author BiographyDavid Bottoms: David Bottom has served as Georgia's Poet Laureate and was inducted into the Georgia Writers Hall of Fame in 2009. He teaches at Georgia State University and co-edits Five Points magazine. His first book, Shooting Rats at the Bibb County Dump, won the Walt Whitman Award; he has also received the Ingram Merrill Award, Poetry magazine's Levinson Prize, the Georgia Author of the Year Award, the Frederick Bock Prize, and an Award in Literature from the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters. Additionally, he has been awarded fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. He lives in Marietta, Georgia.
- Author(s)David Bottoms
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication20/09/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight113 g
- Width137 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.