Wealth or Poverty? Jane Austen's Novels Explored by Stephen Mahony (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.95Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by angus_robertson
- Est. delivery by 28 Feb
- AU $23.92+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMoney is significant in Jane Austen's vels. Her characters worry about it, scheme for it and, of course, spend it. Money is t simply a way of placing people: it propels plots, adds drama and tells us much about an individual's nature and morals. Taking the vels as his starting point, Stephen Mahony looks at the wealth and social standing of Austen's characters in relation to the ecomic background of the day, giving us real insight into their aspirations and motivations. What did a servant earn? Just how poor was Miss Bates? What were the pay and conditions of a midshipman like William Price? What would it cost to house, clothe and feed the entire Bennet family? And how much would Elizabeth Bennet need to live comfortably if she hadn't married Darcy? The result is a revealing account of Austen, her characters and the England in which they lived.
- Author BiographyStephen Mahony read Modern History at Oxford before a thirty-year career in finance. Besides writing six books on financial subjects, he has written for the newsletter of the Jane Austen Society (UK) and for Regency World magazine. He lives in Dorset.
- Author(s)Stephen Mahony
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectFiction Companions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobert Hale Ltd
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
- AU $15.69Trending at AU $23.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.