About this product
- DescriptionWearing the Cloak contains nine stimulating chapters on Roman military textiles and equipment that take textile research to a new level. Hear the sounds of the Roman soldiers' clacking belts and get a view on their purchase orders with Egyptian weavers. Could armour be built of linen? Who had access to what kinds of prestigious equipment? And what garments and weapons were deposited in bogs at the edge of the Roman Empire? The authors draw upon multiple sources such as original textual and scriptural evidence, ancient works of art and icography and archaeological records and finds. The chapters cover - as did the Roman army - a large geographical span: Egypt, the Levant, the Etruscan heartland and Northern Europe. Status, prestige and access are viewed in the light of financial and social capacities and help shed new light on the material realities of a soldier's life in the Roman world.
- Author BiographyMarie-Louise Nosch is Director of the Danish National Research Foundation's Centre for Textile Research, University of Copenhagen and Research professor at the SAXO Institute, University of Copenhagen.
- PublisherOxbow Books
- Date of Publication15/08/2011
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxbow Books
- Content Note24 col & 34 b/w illus
- Weight680 g
- Width190 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHenriette Koefoed,Marie-Louise Nosch
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.38Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.