All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionStalking the streets of New York City at night alongside police detectives and barflies, the tough-talking, fedora-wearing, cigar-smoking photographer who called himself Weegee was ready at a moment's tice with his Speed Graphic to respond to the police radio. From the mid-1930s to 1950s he captured hundreds of pictures of accidents, murders, arrests, fires, and natural disasters, producing works that are both empathetic and sensational. This volume in the In Focus series presents approximately fifty of the ninety-five Weegee prints in the Getty's collection, surveying the photographer's probing vision of life in New York - from Harlem to Times Square, Greenwich Village, and the Bowery. Each of the photographs is accompanied by an introduction, a chrology, and commentary. The book also includes an edited transcript of a colloquium on Weegee's life and work that incorporates the author's comments along with those of seven other participants: David Featherstone, Michael Hargraves, Weston Naef, Miles Orvell, Ira Richer, Colin Westerbeck, and Cynthia Young. In Focus: Weegee is published to coincide with an exhibition of the photographer's work at the Getty Museum in Los Angeles from September 20, 2005, through January 22, 2006.
- Author BiographyJudith Keller is associate curator of photographs at the Getty Museum.
- Author(s)Judith Keller
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- Series TitleIn Focus
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGetty Publishing
- Content Note50 b&w illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width152 mm
- Height194 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.