All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionIt is well that war is so terrible, Robert E. Lee reportedly said, or we would grow too fond of it. The essays collected here make the case that we have grown too fond of it, and therefore we must make the war ter-rible again. Taking a freakomics approach to Civil War studies, each contributor uses a seemingly unusual story, incident, or phemen to cast new light on the nature of the war itself. Collectively the essays remind us that war is always about damage, even at its most heroic and even when certain people and things deserve to be damaged.Here then is t only the grandness of the Civil War but its more than occasional littleness. Here are those who profited by the war and those who lost by it--and t just those who lost all save their hor, but those who lost their hor too. Here are the cowards, the coxcombs, the belles, the deserters, and the scavengers who hung back and so survived, even thrived. Here are dark topics like torture, hunger, and amputation. Here, in short, is war.
- Author BiographyStephen Berry is associate professor of history at the University of Georgia. He is the author of House of Abraham: Lincoln and the Todds, a Family Divided by War and All That Makes a Man: Love and Ambition in the Civil War South and the editor of Princes of Cotton: Four Diaries of Young Men in the South, 1848-1860 (Georgia).
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleUncivil Wars
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight557 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byStephen Berry
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.