All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHigh ecomic growth and relatively equitable distribution were among the most conspicuous characteristics of the postwar Japanese political ecomy. The lure of the Japanese model, however, has faded since the 1990s. Growth is in short supply and equality a thing of the past. In Welfare through Work, Mari Miura looks in depth at Japan's social protection system as a factor in the contemporary malaise of the Japanese political ecomy. The Japanese social protection system should be understood as a system of welfare through work, Miura suggests, because employment protection has functionally substituted for income maintenance. A gendered dual system in the labor market allowed a high degree of labor market flexibility, which enabled Japan to achieve high employment rates as well as strong legal protections for regular workers. In recent years, conservatives gradually replaced the productivism and cooperatism that had resulted from earlier party politics with neoliberalism, which, in turn, hampered the effectiveness of the welfare through work system. In Miura's view, the dynamics of partisan competition fostered ideational renewal, just as the political visions and ideologies of the governing party strongly affected the design of the social protection system. In the scenario Miura describes, the partisan dynamics since the 1990s resulted in the policy change that further undermined the social protection system, and the ensuing disruption has been felt throughout Japan.
- Author BiographyMari Miura is Professor of Political Science at Sophia University in Tokyo. She is coeditor of The Lost Decade and Beyond: Japanese Politics in the 1990s.
- Author(s)Mari Miura
- PublisherCornell University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationIthaca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCornell University Press
- Content Note15, 8 charts, 7 tables
- Weight457 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.