All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWelfare has been central to a number of significant political debates in modern America: * What role should the government play in alleviating poverty? * What does a government owe its citizens, and who is entitled to help? * How have race and gender shaped ecomic opportunities and outcomes? * How should Americans respond to increasing rates of single parenthood? * How have poor women sought to shape their own lives and influence government policies? With a comprehensive introduction and a well-chosen collection of primary documents, Welfare in the United States chronicles the major turning points in the seventy-year history of Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC). Illuminating policy debates, shifting demographics, institutional change, and the impact of social movements, this book serves as an essential guide to the history of the nation's most controversial welfare program.
- Author BiographyPremilla Nadasen is Visiting Associate Professor and Endowed Chair in Women's Studies at Brooklyn College. She is the author of Welfare Warriors: The Welfare Rights Movement in the United States (Routledge). Jennifer Mittelstadt is Assistant Professor of History and Women's Studies at Penn State University. She is the author of From Welfare to Workfare: The Unintended Consequences of Liberal Reform, 1945-1965. Marisa Chappell is Assistant Professor of History at Oregon State University. She is the author of The War on Welfare: Family, Poverty, and Politics in Modern America.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/04/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white tables, 10 black & white halftones
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJennifer Mittelstadt,Marisa Chappell,Premilla Nadasen
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $34.01Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.