All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor decades the Beehive has served as Wellington's primary visual icon, its circular design neatly symbolising the functions and identity of New Zealand's capital. But as Wellington has grown and diversified, public sculpture has assumed at least some of this responsibility. Neil Dawson's Ferns, an aluminium globe whimsically suspended over the Civic Square in 1998, has a talismanic presence, and Cuba Mall's Bucket Fountain has splashed its way into the city's heart. Wellington: A City for Sculpture is both a celebration of the dynamic presence of sculpture in the city's streets and parks, and an informative and sometimes provocative examination of how it has all got there and what it all means. Sculptures do t magically materialise in prime public spaces, and this book pays full credit to the host of individuals, agencies and corporations who - albeit driven by a range of often competing agendas and visions of the relationship between art and urban spaces - have done so much to enliven our daily environment. Stunning new photographs capture more than forty sculptures in all the moods Wellington has to offer. In addition, archival photographs capture a few works that have been lost, and a couple of significant moments in sculptural history. Maps make them easy to find. The result is both a visual feast and a unique record of the twenty-first-century city's fabric. It is a book to be treasured by locals and visitors alike.
- Author BiographyJenny Harper is director of the Christchurch Art Gallery. Aaron Lister is exhibitions curator at the National Library Gallery, National Library of New Zealand. Bruce Connew is a photographer who has shown more than 20 solo and group exhibitions.
- PublisherVictoria University Press
- Date of Publication02/11/2007
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationWellington
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintVictoria University Press
- Content NoteNew & archival photographs throughout
- Weight658 g
- Width210 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byAaron Lister,Jenny Harper
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.