All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNow available in paperback, this fully illustrated volume traces the emergence of Welsh traditional music through the ages and is complemented throughout with more than 200 musical examples. Phyllis Kinney's Welsh Traditional Music covers the traditional music of Wales from its beginnings through to the present day, providing musical analysis and placing its material firmly into a social and historical context. Among the many different forms of Welsh traditional music discussed are seasonal music (including wassail songs, Christmas and May carols and Plygain carols), folk drama, ballad-singing, the relevance of the eisteddfod and the musical journals of the nineteenth century. Additionally, the book includes a history of song collecting from the eighteenth century to the establishment and ongoing activities of the Welsh Folk-Song Society in the twentieth; both the instrumental and the vocal traditions are examined, as well as the uniquely Welsh tradition of 'cerdd dant'. This is a work of pioneering scholarship that accounts for Welsh traditional music within the context of a greater Welsh musical tradition.
- Author BiographyPhyllis Kinney is a former professional opera singer and an authority on Welsh traditional music.
- Author(s)Phyllis Kinney
- PublisherUniversity of Wales Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationWales
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Wales Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight658 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.