All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCambridge University Library's collection of illuminated manuscripts is of international significance. It originates in the medieval university and stands alongside the holdings of the colleges and the Fitzwilliam Museum. The University Library contains major European examples of medieval illumination from the ninth to the sixteenth centuries, with ackwledged masterpieces of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance book art, as well as illuminated literary texts, including the first complete Chaucer manuscript. This catalogue provides scholars and researchers easy access to the University Library's illuminated manuscripts, evaluating the importance of many of them for the very first time. It contains descriptions of famous manuscripts, for example the Life of Edward the Confessor attributed to Matthew Paris, as well as hundreds of lesser-kwn items. Beautifully illustrated throughout, the catalogue contains descriptions of individual manuscripts with up-to-date assessments of their style, origins and importance, together with bibliographical references.
- Author BiographyPaul Binski is Professor of the History of Medieval Art at Cambridge University. He specializes in the art and architecture of medieval Western Europe. His previous publications include The Painted Chamber at Westminster (1986), Westminster Abbey and the Plantagenets (1995), which won the Longman's History Today Prize, and Becket's Crown, Art and Imagination in Gothic England, 1170-1300 (2004), winner of the 2006 Historians of British Art Prize and the Ace-Mercers 2005 International Book Prize. Patrick Zutshi is Keeper of Manuscripts and University Archives at Cambridge University Library and a Fellow of Corpus Christi College. He has published extensively on the medieval papacy, from the twelfth century onwards, including Original Papal Documents in England, 1305-1415 (1990). He frequently lectures on aspects of papal history, and has published articles on university history and the provenance of medieval manuscripts.
- Author(s)Patrick Zutshi,Paul Binski
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note720 b/w illus. 192 colour illus.
- Weight2800 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine50 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.