All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnd God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years. - Genesis I.I4. Astrology, the tion that the stars and planets hold significance for human life, exists in most cultures. It is evident in Stone Age lunar calendars dating back to 30,000 BCE. Today, ninety percent of Indians consult astrologers about their forthcoming marriages while over fifty percent of people in the West read their horoscopes in newspapers or magazines. How has this pre-Christian, pre-scientific view of the cosmos survived to the present day and what is its enduring appeal? Astrology's techniques and philosophical foundations are complex and there is single tradition. Astrology may be seen as science, art, religion, craft or superstition. For most adherents it is either a path to self-understanding or an organising principle which helps give purpose to an otherwise meaningless world. Nicholas Campion explores astrology's past and present, its claims and appeal and explains what astrologers really believe.
- Author BiographyNicholas Campion is Principal Lecturer at Bath Spa University College where he is Course Director for the MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology. His many books include The Great Year (Penguin 1994).
- Author(s)Nicholas Campion
- PublisherGranta Books
- Date of Publication07/08/2006
- SubjectAlternative Belief Systems
- Series TitleWhat Do We Believe
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGranta Books
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.