Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.70Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $8.95+ AU $3.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by azuriteucanread6
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn invigorating book about the debates raging within China. We all kw about the fast pace of change in this country. This book brings us the ideas being fought over in the country itself - from democracy to the idea of a 'peaceful rise'. It challenges all of our assumptions about China. We kw everything and thing about China. We kw that China is changing so fast that the maps in Shanghai need to be rewritten every two weeks. We kw that China has brought 300 million people from agricultural backwardness into modernity in just 30 years (something that took 200 years in Europe). China's voracious appetite for resources is gobbling up 40% of the world's cement., 40% of its coal, 30% of its steel, and 12% of its energy. It has become so integrated into the global ecomy that its prospects have immediate effects on our everyday lives: simultaneously doubling the cost of the London Olympics while halving the cost of our computers; keeping the US ecomy afloat but sinking the Italian footwear industry. We have an image of China as a dictatorship; a nationalist empire that threatens its neighbours and global peace. But how many people kw about the debates raging within China? What do we really kw about the kind of society China wants to become? What ideas are motivating its citizens? We can name America's Neo-Cons and the religious right, but cant name Chinese writers, thinkers or journalists - what is the future they dream of for their country, or the world it is shaping? Because China's rise - like the fall of Rome or the British Raj - will echo down generations to come, these are the questions we increasingly need to ask. Mark Leonard asks us to forget everything we thought we knew about China and start again. He introduces us to the thinkers that are shaping China's wide open future and opens up a hidden world of intellectual debate that is driving a new Chinese revolution and changing the face of the world.
- Author BiographyMark Leonard founded the leading independent think tank The Foreign Policy Centre at the age of 24, under the patronage of the British Prime Minister Tony Blair. He also wrote the famous pamphlet, Rebranding Britain, coining the phrase 'Cool Britannia'. He is now Director of Foreign Policy at the Centre for European Reform. He has written regular commentary for all the leading newspapers and magazines, has presented the BBC' Analysis programme, and appeared as a commentator on CNN.
- Author(s)K. L. Noll,Mark Leonard
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication18/02/2008
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Series TitleJournal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement S.
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 242.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight150 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.