All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionWhat Gender Is, What Gender Does provides a forceful new paradigm for considering genders. With depth and insight, Judith Roof argues that genders are much more than binary. And they are constantly morphing: they are conscious and unconscious, simultaneously conventional and idiosyncratic. At any moment, more than one gender dynamic is at work in any individual.Roof s interpretation of genders isn t content with either biological duality or endlessly open performativity, and what results is a nuanced and surprising representation of gender an account that captures the complexities of lived experience as well as lived ideology. For Roof, genders are interacting sets of operations that link individual desires to multiple, shifting manifestations of sociocultural positioning and self-presentation. Thus, to gender is to signal, mask, suggest, mislead, and simplify the uncontainable chaos of desires characteristic of subjects but roundly contained by society.Drawing illustrative material from contemporary popular culture productions, including My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Spider-Man, Shrek, Shallow Hal, Sex and the City, Bridesmaids, Bond films, and bromance movies, What Gender Is, What Gender Does demonstrates how the persistent conflation of gender and sexual difference is, on the one hand, a simple taxomic urge and, on the other, a cover that offers the security of identity in place of the frustrations and fears of the real asymmetries of personal power dynamics.
- Author BiographyJudith Roof is William Shakespeare Chair in English at Rice University. She is the author of A Lure of Knowledge: Lesbian Sexuality and Theory, Reproductions of Reproduction: Imaging Symbolic Change, Come As You Are: Sexuality and Narrative, All about Thelma and Eve: Sidekicks and Third Wheels, and The Poetics of DNA (Minnesota, 2007).
- Author(s)Judith Roof
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLibrary binding
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.