All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn What Philosophy Can Do, Gary Gutting leaves the ivory tower to tackle difficult questions in everyday life and shows how philosophy can be used as a method for interrogating our world-and one ather. He looks at why today's political debates are so polarised, why scientific research on happiness does t make us happier and whether there are convincing reasons to believe-or t believe-in God. Gutting takes the most powerful-and divisive-forces in our society: politics, science, religion, art and capitalism-and applies a philosopher's scalpel to reveal thoughtful ways to look at vexing issues. He introduces readers to analytical tools, from inductive and deductive logic to the principle of charity, that they can apply to news events and policy debates. Gutting underlines philosophy's great promise for enriching public discussions about the most important issues in human life.
- Author BiographyGary Gutting holds an endowed chair in philosophy at the University of Notre Dame. He is an editor of Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews and writes for the New York Times's philosophy blog, The Stone. He is also the author of What Philosophy Can Do.
- Author(s)Gary Gutting
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication23/10/2015
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note---
- Weight540 g
- Width165 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.