All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines vels by women from the anglophone, francophone, and hispaphone Caribbean that focus on marginalized female characters who migrate to metropolitan centers. The vels studied require cultural, historical, sociological, anthropological, and geographic readings to fully explore the complexity of the characters as they confront the varied and changing challenges, hardships, and pleasures of the diaspora. The critical approach focuses on the characters' attempts to hold on to acceptable realities by assuming the appropriate interpersonal, social, and cultural masks that allow them to find a sense of significance in their interior, domestic, and community lives.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Maria Cristina Rodriguez obtained her Ph.D. in comparative literature at the Graduate Center/City University of New York and teaches at the Universidad de Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus. She is co-editor of Sargasso, a journal of Caribbean studies, and film critic for the weekly newspaper Claridad. She has published widely in scholarly journals on Caribbean women's writings, ideology in film, and migration and diaspora narratives.
- Author(s)Maria Cristina Rodriguez
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleCaribbean Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note1 ill.
- Weight310 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byMichael G. Paulson,Tamara Alvarez-Detrell
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.