All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMartin Mosebach's vel What Was Before opens with a young couple enjoying a moment of carefree intimacy. Then the young woman, turning slightly more serious, asks her lover that fateful question, one that sounds so incent but carries toxic seeds of jealousy: What was your life like before you met me? The answer grows into an entire book, an elaborate house of cards, filled with intrigue, sex, betrayal, exotic birds, and far-flung locations. Set against the backdrop of Frankfurt's affluent suburbs, this elliptical tale of coincidence and necessity unfolds through a series of masterly constructed vignettes, which gradually come together to form a scintillating portrait of the funny, tender, and destructive guises that love between two people can assume and the effect it has on everyone around them. Hailed in Germany as the first great social vel of the twenty-first century, What Was Before is an Elective Affinities for our time.
- Author BiographyMartin Mosebach is the author of numerous short stories, poems, essays, plays, and novels, including Heresy of Formlessness. Kari Driscoll studied German literature at the University of Oxford and Columbia University.
- Author(s)Martin Mosebach
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication25/11/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe German List
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Translated byKari Driscoll
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $30.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.