All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDesigned for parents, teachers and home educators to use with children, this fifth volume in the Core Kwledge UK series presents the specific and shared kwledge that should be at the core of a challenging Year 5 education, including: Familiar and favourite poems - old and new - from Tennyson's 'The Lady of Shalott' to Roger McGough's 'Sky in the Pie'. Literature from around the world - folk tales from Ethiopia and China, Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight as well as extracts from great classics of literature: Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels and Treasure Island. Learning about language - learn the basic building blocks of written English, such as sentence structure, parts of speech and punctuation, as well as writing and research, all explained with a touch of humour. Geography - learn to read maps, explore the geography of several regions of the UK and sail to the South Seas with Captain Cook. British history - explore British history from the Act of Union to the abolition of slavery, through the Georgian era that included the American War of Independence, the French Revolution and the battles of Trafalgar and Waterloo. Visual arts - see how artists have expressed themselves through styles as different as rococo and modernism, whilst learning what the choice of different styles implies in terms of painting, architecture and furniture. Music - become familiar with elements of basic music theory, great composers, instruments and fun songs to sing including 'The Skye Boat Song', 'Heart of Oak' and 'The British Grenadier', as well as modern songs like 'With a Little Help From My Friends'. Mathematics - develop a knack for solving challenging problems including counting with negative numbers, addition and subtraction of fractions and decimals, multiplication and division with decimals, geometry and measurement problems. Science - learn about the workings of the human body, atoms and molecules, electricity, geology and meteorology, including hands-on activities and stories about famous scientists.
- Author BiographyE.D. Hirsch, Jr. is a professor at the University of Virginia and the author of The Schools We Need and the best-selling Cultural Literacy and The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. He and his wife, Polly, live in Charlottesville, Virginia, where they raised their three children.
- Author(s)E. D. Hirsch
- Date of Publication14/10/2013
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides : General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrationsstrations (colour), maps (colour), portraits
- Width186 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byRobert Whelan,Tanya Lubicz-Nawrocka
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $168.55
- AU $26.36Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.30
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.35
- AU $51.40Trending at AU $52.70
- AU $38.18Trending at AU $44.62
- AU $33.21Trending at AU $49.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.