When Cricket Was Cricket: A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Greatest Game by Adam Powley (Hardback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRemember a time when cricket was cricket? Before millionaire players careered around a floodlit field in glorified pyjamas? When a proper match lasted days rather than the crash, bang, wallop of the limited-overs game? Modern invations like Twenty20 and the IPL have their place in cricket's long and glorious story, but thing beats the original - as celebrated in this wonderfully stalgic look at the game in bygone years. Looking back to a heyday of long hot summers and classic matches, When Cricket Was Cricket fondly recalls an era when it was a more enjoyable and carefree pastime - for the most part a sport conducted in a spirit of keen competitiveness but fair and thrilling play. Drawing on 100 years of outstanding photographs in the huge Mirrorpix archive, this book brings to life an age free of intrusive sponsorship and commercialism when huge crowds swarmed to see the stars of the day in action - legends such as WG Grace, Bradman, and Hobbs; famous greats of the post-war era like Sobers, Miller and Trueman; and more recent heroes such as Botham, Warne, Tendulkar and Lara. Ranging from the grandest venues to the humblest village pitches in its depiction of the sport's golden years, this is the perfect illustrated guide to when it really was cricket!
- Author BiographyAdam Powley is a journalist and writer behind a number of books. He is the author of When Football Was Football: World Cup, When Football Was Football: Tottenham Hotspur, and is the co-author of the bestselling Spurs Miscellany and the critically acclaimed The Boys From White Hart Lane. He was also a major contributor to The Spurs Opus, When Saturday Comes: The half-decent football book, and Football: The Ultimate Guide. He has also reported and written for the Sunday Mirror, The Guardian, and Time Out.
- Author(s)Adam Powley
- PublisherHaynes Publishing Group
- Date of Publication05/05/2011
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ H Haynes & Co Ltd
- Content Note220 illustrations
- Weight1043 g
- Width250 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.