All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCompelling and moving real-life accounts of the impact on family life of the return of the troops at the end of the Second World War. Summer 1945. Britain was in jubilant mood. At last, the war was over. Soon the men would be coming home. Then everything would be fine: life would get back to rmal. Or would it? Six long years of war had profoundly changed family life. For years, Dad had been a khaki figure in a photograph on the wall, a crumpled letter from overseas, an occasional visitor on weekend leave. Now he was here to stay, a stranger in a group that had learned to live without him - and was t always prepared to have him back. Most homecomings were joyful, never-to-be-forgotten moments of humour and hope. Others were hard. And there was one to deal with the tears and the trauma. It would take hope and courage for families to live and love together again.
- Author BiographyBarry Turner is a writer and historian. His latest books are Beacon for Change about the 1951 Festival of Britain and Outpost of Occupation on the German occupation of the Channel Islands. He has just completed his seventeenth year as editor of Statesman's Yearbook. He lives in London and south-west France. Tony Rennell was a senior editorial executive on the Sunday Times and the Mail on Sunday before switching to writing 15 years ago. He is the author and co-author of seven books, of which When Daddy Came Home was the first. He writes regularly on a variety of subjects for the Daily Mail. He lives in Suffolk. He was born in 1947, the son of a father who came home but never spoke about his war. 'When I told him I was writing this book, he was silent. After he died, I was told that he had read it and, most unusually for him, wept. But, to me, typically, he said not a word.'
- Author(s)Barry Turner,Tony Rennell
- Date of Publication17/07/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArrow Books Ltd
- Weight299 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.