All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnfair mythologies about English language learners have sprung up in schools around the country. Unsure how to help nnative speakers write, some teachers and administrators have resorted to deficit-based stereotypes: ELLs can't write They have writing problems They are reluctant writers They need to be taught the skills of writing before writing independently. In reality, however, ELLs benefit from the same smart, research-based instructional strategies as mainstream student writers, and in When English Language Learners Write, Katharine Davies Samway explores second language writers, shattering myths and in their place offering meaningful insight into powerful instruction. When English Language Learners Write helps you connect the latest thinking on ELLs and language acquisition to your everyday classroom practices. Samway helps you understand numerous important factors affecting nnative writers, including:
- what young children kw about print and about the connection between oral and written language
- how their native language influences the process of learning to write in English
- how gender, race, ethnicity, and social class affect writing
- how adult expectations, school-based writing experiences, and participation in bilingual classrooms affect children's development as writers
- which current developments in writing pedagogy help the most.
- understanding the literacy practices of n-mainstream cultures
- discovering what ELLs can do as writers before they become fluent in English
- moving from looking at only the writing itself, to investigating writers' processes
- providing a print-rich environment to cement the reading-writing connection and foster literate behaviors in a new tongue
- incorporating reflective writing such as logs and dialogue journals to support ELLs' literacy development
- providing a learner-centered workshop approach to teaching writing.
- Author(s)Katharine Davies Samway
- PublisherHeinemann USA
- Date of Publication14/03/2006
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationPortsmouth
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHeinemann Educational Books,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width185 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.