All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionMost readers do t kw about the Bible used almost universally by early Christians, or about how that Bible was birthed, how it grew to prominence, and how it differs from the one used as the basis for most modern translations. Although it was one of the most important events in the history of our civilization, the translation of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek in the third century BCE is an event almost unkwn outside of academia. Timothy Michael Law offers the first book to make this topic accessible to a wider audience. Retrospectively, we can hardly imagine the history of Christian thought, and the history of Christianity itself, without the Old Testament. When the Emperor Constantine adopted the Christian faith, his fusion of the Church and the State ensured that the Christian worldview (which by this time had absorbed Jewish ideals that had come to them through the Greek translation) would leave an imprint on subsequent history. This book narrates in a fresh and exciting way the story of the Septuagint, the Greek Scriptures of the ancient Jewish Diaspora that became the first Christian Old Testament.
- Author BiographyTimothy Michael Law is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of The Marginalia Review of Books. He was a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow in the University of Oxford from 2009-2012 and is Alexander von Humboldt Fellow in the Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen, Germany until 2014. He has published more than two-dozen articles and is author or editor of several books, including the forthcoming Oxford Handbook of the Septuagint (with Alison Salvesen), and the ongoing OUP series, The Apocrypha in the History of Interpretation (with David Lincicum). He also writes at timothymichaellaw.com.
- Author(s)Timothy Michael Law
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2013
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight450 g
- Width162 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.