All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
About this product
- DescriptionA nationally kwn psychiatrist and author specializing in children and adolescents, Henry A. Paul M.D. has practiced in New York City for over thirty years, and has appeared on hundreds of national and local television and radio shows. He has evaluated, treated, and prescribed medication for literally thousands of young people in settings that include hospitals, outpatient public clinics, residences, foster agencies, and in private practice, and has followed the progress of many of them over the course of many years. As a result of his specialty, Dr. Paul has experience prescribing all of the current psychotropic drugs, and has treated children and teenagers with all the varied disorders listed in the current psychiatric diagstic manuals. He has seen the therapeutic effects of medication when administered properly, the harmful effects when they are abused or prescribed incorrectly, and has observed the side effects that occur on rare occasion. While Dr. Paul, a multi-published author, doesn't believe every child with a mental disorder needs medication, he strongly feels that some do. To withhold these important therapeutic agents can be harmful and, in some cases, tragic. However, he fully understands why parents are often anxious, hesitant, and concerned for their children's welfare. All too often, such feelings arise from the biased, misleading, and even fabricated stories that are conveyed through the media. In When Kids Need Meds, Dr. Paul discusses mental disorders, explains the process of psychiatric evaluation, answers many questions, and talks about stimulants, antidepressants, antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, sleep medications, anti-anxiety drugs and others. He also stresses the importance of n-medication therapies and provides references for readers to obtain more information. Friendly and easy to use and easy to read, this essential guide covers almost every aspect of an extremely important and very prevalent topic as it educates, comforts, and provides support. Parents and other caretakers will find it invaluable.
- Author BiographyA general and child/adolescent psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, Henry A. Paul M.D. has been in practice for over thirty years, and is a member of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the American Psychiatric Association, and the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry. He has appeared on hundreds of national and local television and radio programs including Good Morning America, The Early Show, Dateline NBC, NBC Nightly News, The View, and the O'Reilly Factor. The past president of the American Institute for Psychoanalysis, he has been on the faculties of Columbia University and Mt. Sinai Medical Center, and is currently Executive Director of the Karen Horney Clinic in New York City. Author of When Kids Are Mad Not Bad (Berkley Books), Is My Child OK? (Dell Publishing; Book of the Week in NY Times Science Times), and Is My Teenager OK? (Kensington Press), Dr. Paul's latest book is entitled When Kids Need Meds-Everything a Parent Needs to Know About Psychiatric Medication and Youngsters.
- Author(s)Henry A Paul,Henry A Paul MD
- Date of Publication11/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.