When Philosophers Were Kings (Hardcover) by S M Best, Steven M Best (Hardback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.87Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the Confederacy celebrates its victory over Fort Sumter, Socrates Best and his wife, Ellen, are living in Northeast Texas where Socrates has been teaching school for five years. Educated in the philosophy of Plato and the religion of Kx, Socrates hopes to igre the war and continue developing ruler guardians who will help make Texas great. But two former students, Buck Malneck and Billy Morse, seize this chance to put their former teacher to the test. Join the conflict or hang--those are their demands. Meanwhile, a thousand miles to the rth stands Socrates' cousin Swift. Raised with Plato's Republican philosophies, but steeped in the passionate abolitionism of the Northern Methodists, Swift leaves law school to be part of the Second Wisconsin Infantry Regiment. Portage City explodes with joy as they send Swift's company off to war, but all the well wishing in the world could never prepare Swift for what awaits him at Bull Run. Amidst the revelry, Socrates' youngest brother, Ed, watches with bated breath. This crowd will one day cheer him, he decides, and everyone will kw that he is finally a man. Fighting with the Army of the Cumberland across the Southeast, he will learn there is a far greater challenge in life then being a man--staying alive. This vel is based on the true story of a Wisconsin family caught up in the American Civil War, but it is also the story of the multidimensional human soul--spiritual, philosophical, and physical--and how it is affected by war. It is the story of man's ability to love, endure, survive, and find a meaningful purpose for life in a world turned upside down with hate.STEVEN M. BEST is a former military intelligence analyst, and retired chiropractor. After being given an extensive letter written by his great grandmother detailing the family's experiences during the war, Best spent seven and a half years researching and writing his family story. He has visited every village and battlefield presented in this vel from Big Spring and Portage, Wisconsin, in the North, to Dangerfield, Texas, in the South; and from Perryville, Indian Territory (present day Oklahoma) and Devil's Backbone in the West; to Perryville, Kentucky and Chickamauga at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in the East.
- Author(s)S M Best,Steven M Best
- PublisherSunstone Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSunstone Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight621 g
- Width151 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $12.11Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.86Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $20.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.