All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJapan invades and captures the British colony of Singapore in 1942. All Europeans on the island are being interned. Edward Schirmer, the author s grandfather, faces a dilemma he is German but born as a British subject. In a strange stroke of fortune, he finds himself friends with General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the famed Tiger of Malaya . Seeing the fate of the other Europeans, Edward reluctantly lets the Japanese assume he is a friendly German national only Yamashita kws otherwise. The secret of his true identity remains between the two men only but when politics removes the protective Yamashita from the picture, betrayal ensues and Edward finds himself in prison, his family scattered. The autobiography then moves on to the true-life account of Edward s son and the author s father, Hans Schirmer a hellish tale of a six year-old boy s quest for survival, alone on the streets of a war-torn vanquished nation, where everyone is hungry and racial tension is rife, where martial law allows the occupiers to summarily execute at will. Amid the horrors of the post-war years, a young boy learns to live, while witnessing an epic moment in history.
- Author BiographyEdmund M Schirmer is an up and coming writer. Born in Singapore in 1970, he attended the prestigious Saint Joseph's Institution there before moving to the United States at the age of 21. Today, he resides in the Tri-Cities area of southeastern Washington. Always an avid writer, his main interest lies in World War II history and the effects of that epoch on individuals and societies. The passing of his father cemented in him a desire to chronicle the momentous events of World War II as seen through his father's eyes, to document the experiences of a passing generation, before they are lost and forgotten. Extensively researched to corroborate his father's account, When There Were Tigers In Singapore is Schirmer's first novel.
- Author(s)Edmund M. Schirmer
- PublisherMarshall Cavendish International (Asia) Pte Ltd
- Date of Publication10/10/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintMarshall Cavendish International (Asia) Pte Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight340 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.