When the Church Becomes Your Party: Contemporary Gospel Music by Deborah Smith Pollard (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $51.52Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.23+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book takes a look at the invations of contemporary performers of modern gospel music and their roots in the African American Christian church.In When the Church Becomes Your Party , author Deborah Smith Pollard assesses contemporary gospel music as the genre enters the twenty-first century. She argues that although the flashy clothing, informal language, and elaborate stage presentation found in some of the newest gospel music might t be what some worshippers expect, this new aesthetic rests on the same Christian principles as more traditional forms and actually extends its message to a wider and younger audience.In this volume Pollard looks at contemporary gospel music with the insider's perspective she has acquired as a regular participant in praise and worship services in the Detroit area and through her work as a successful gospel concert producer ( The Motor City Praisefest and the McDonald's GospelFest ) and host of a popular Sunday morning gospel show on Detroit's FM 98 WJLB .Among the topics she considers in When the Church Becomes Your Party are praise and worship music, gospel musical stage plays, the changing dress code of gospel performance, women gospel anuncers, and holy hip hop. She draws on Detroit's thriving gospel scene as well as her kwledge of the national gospel music industry to identify important trends in each area and trace the cultural transformations that brought them about. In addition, Pollard includes interviews with contemporary gospel artists, allowing them to explain why they rap, make particular choices in attire, or participate in gospel radio, praise and worship, or gospel musical plays.While other studies address some of the subtopics included in this volume, When the Church Becomes Your Party offers a comprehensive picture of the history and future of contemporary gospel music. Scholars of music and African American cultural studies will enjoy this intriguing volume.
- Author BiographyDeborah Smith Pollard is associate professor of English literature and humanities and former director of the African American studies program at the University of Michigan - Dearborn. In 2005 she was named gospel music announcer of the year during the 20th Annual Stellar Gospel Music Awards.
- Author(s)Deborah Smith Pollard
- PublisherWayne State University Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2008
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAfrican American Life
- Place of PublicationDetroit, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWayne State University Press
- Content Note33 illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.