All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionKusum Budhwar introduces us to Kumaon and Garhwal's rich and rarely translated folk literature by retelling the colourful and exuberant stories of the region. Whimsical and imaginative, these are tales of high adventure, lumius love and romance, benevolent pastoral gods, local heroes, brave medieval warriors, sacred sites and historical anecdotes, all of which are equally popular in these parts but little kwn outside. Arranged in sections, each focusing on a particular theme, the book opens with Nanda Devi, the patron goddess of the region, believed to be the daughter of the Himalayas. In the sections that follow we become intimately acquainted with the enchanting adventure sagas of the Ramola clan, the Ramola Gathas; the romantic ballads 'Malushahi' and 'Haru Heet'; the tale of Chyongompa, the demon bird; and the simple stories, imbued with faith, of local gods and goddesses like Golu Dev and Devmangala, among others.
- Author(s)Kusum Budhwar
- PublisherPenguin Books India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication08/09/2010
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintPenguin Books India
- Content Noteillustrations
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.